[LAU] Some disturbing news

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 15:48:20 CEST 2018

Hey Thorsten!

You bring up an interesting point: if I understood correctly you say that
we should start with the 4 freedoms and then show that not having them is
bad.

First of all, I actually do explore that in my work. The whole of Chapter 3
assumes that proprietary software is a problem, and explores the freedoms
through that lens.
https://louigiverona.com/?page=projects&s=writings&t=philosophy&a=philosophy_freedoms#3

So, this is a fine way to analyze a problem.

However, to answer you question more generally, the reason why anything we
postulate must be proven somehow is that if we do not do that, we are then
open to postulating whatever and then acting on it, waiting for people to
disprove the idea. This is a form of an argument from ignorance, which
asserts that a proposition is either true or false because of lack or
absence of evidence or proof to the contrary.

So, we definitely cannot start by postulating the 4 freedoms, and consider
them to be right until the point someone proves otherwise. This is just
invalid reasoning.

I, for one, very seriously don't see why anyone should be entitled to, say,
change a program as they wish by having direct access to source code. Why
should that be a basic freedom everyone has to have? On what grounds? And
remember - a freedom's other side is obligation. That means that the basic
obligation should be to provide source code to anyone. Why?

The response that it might be convenient to some people is too generic.
Convenient in what way? I now have access to GIMP's source code. I want it
to do something different. How do I make that change in real life?

Whereas you suggest a scenario when there is no source code available. To
which someone might respond - look, if there is no obligation to give away
source code, that means people can build businesses with software
development and I wouldn't need to change very much about the program
because it will be of very high quality due to people being paid for it
full time and the business catering to the needs of the customers.

The goal of discussing this is to outline why access to source code is
critical. You don't start by positing this as a dogma and then telling
other people to argue against it - and meanwhile we will be calling those
who disagree immoral and tell them that they don't want to change the world
for the good. This is not a discussion if ethics, this is ideological
warfare at this point.

What I am trying to do is make it into a discussion and demonstrate that
one can be a FLOSS supporter, a decent person who wants good in the world,
and yet disagree with what Stallman says.