[LAU] Jack & pulse...knickers in a twist.

Mac macdroid53 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 16:19:55 CEST 2018

On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 4:22 PM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Jun 2018, Mac wrote:

>>             As I said, I checked it, nothing is muted and all are at
>>             100%.
>>
>>             What am I missing...
>>

>>       Ok, simple things first. have you verified with meterbridge or
>>       something similar, that there is audio (needle movement) going to
>> the
>>       system output ports? Have you tried connecting your audio source to
>>       all audio outputs?
>>

>> Yes, used meter bridge, yes there was movement.
>>

> Cool, that narrows things down anyway. So there is sound in Jackdbus, but
> the output is not getting to the hardware.
>
> That said, since my last post I booted to the original os on this laptop
>> (it is a
>> system76, so it came with vanilla Ubuntu) the speakers worked.
>> (Since it was vanilla, I had no jack, etc. to play with...and has been so
>> long I
>> had to log in as guest, so didn't attempt to install anything.)
>>
>> So, I rebooted to UbStudio. Now I can start jack and get sound from the
>> speakers,
>> but it's distorted.
>>

>               device: ALSA device name (str:set:hw:0:hw:HD2)
>>              capture: Provide capture ports.  Optionally set device
>> (str:set:none:hw:PCH)
>>             playback: Provide playback ports.  Optionally set device
>> (str:set:none:hw:PCH,0)
>>                 rate: Sample rate (uint:set:48000:44100)
>>               period: Frames per period (uint:set:1024:64)
>>

> It looks to me that whatever jackd has saved needs to be cleared out.

Yes, I suspect that Qjackctl saved one of the many iterations I attempted
and the settings were totally bogus.

> jack_control ds alsa dps capture none dps playback none
> jack_control dps device hw:0  dps rate 44100 dps period 128 dps nperiods 2
> start
>
> See if that works. The first line is the important one. So long as capture
> and playback are set separately, device doesn't seem to take effect (for me
> anyway). In any case you have three different devices in there and one
> would probably work better.
>
> You may have to replace the hw:0 with something better (hw:0 is probably
> hw:PCH). I don't know what HD2 is, but if you have all external audio
> unplugged I don't think it should be there.

Well that did indeed work.

I didn't change the hw:0.

The output of aplay is:

 aplay --list-devices
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I'm assuming hw:0 somehow used PCH, it being card 0.

How did you arrive at these values: dps period 128 dps nperiods 2