[LAU] Some disturbing news

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 20:32:14 CEST 2018

I think it is wrong to constantly think about large companies like
Microsoft. Most proprietary software is not made by Microsoft, but by
smaller companies. If Stallman would talk only about large companies -
sure, that would be a different conversation. But he is talking about
proprietary software as a class. I don't see him making this distinction
anywhere.

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 8:28 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>
wrote:

> It's nice that restaurants and farmers were mentioned, but when
> thinking about proprietary software by companies that big as Microsoft,
> a better analogy would be a comparison with Monsanto.
> Replication-incompetent proprietary seeds, sold in combination with the
> required poisons that kill bees, humans, more or less everything,
> excepted of the monster plants. And now the bomb drops, it's forbidden
> to safe old seeds and to give them away for free or for less money,
> without paying for EU licenses. "Randomly" those EU licenses only could
> be paid by big companies. Another valid comparison would be with food
> speculation done by big banks, so that starvation death becomes a
> profitable business model. The ideals of RMS could be a starting point
> for reflection. If you disagree with those ideals, because you e.g.
> think that they are unworldly, ok, but it's still a leap from
> disagreeing with RMS, to claims about Microsoft, a 10^12 $ capital
> range "company", not being evil on purpose.

Louigi Verona
https://www.patreon.com/droning
https://louigiverona.com/