[LAU] Some disturbing news

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Jun 5 20:43:57 CEST 2018

Max <abonnements at revolwear.com> writes:

> On 05.06.2018 20:28, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> It's nice that restaurants and farmers were mentioned, but when
>> thinking about proprietary software by companies that big as Microsoft,
>> a better analogy would be a comparison with Monsanto.
> Coincidently Monsanto has been bought by BAYER and the brand name has
> ceased to exist.

But only because Bayer decided to retire it as it's not exactly coming
with a great image.

Note that Caldera, a Linux distribution company, renamed itself into
"SCO Group" after having acquired the SCO brand in order to sue Novell,
IBM and others on behalf of UNIX copyrights and put up a sob story
before court and jury.  Part of the sage was that it turned out they did
not actually even acquire the respective copyrights, but before the
courts could rule on that, they went into receivership.

So if we are talking about reputation management, Microsoft could now
rename itself to GitHub and offer GitHub Windows, GitHub Office, GitHub
cloud services, GitHub certified engineering certificates and what not.

Let's hope that this remains a barfbag fantasy.

--
David Kastrup