[LAU] Some disturbing news

Dominique Michel dominique.c.michel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 01:51:09 CEST 2018

Le Sun, 3 Jun 2018 02:17:04 +0200,
Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> a écrit :

> What I *do* find disturbing re. the way Linux seems
> to be going is all those 'kits' and other stuff meant
> to replace existing system functionality. Who needs
> rtkit if we have limits.conf, or policykit if we have
> sudo ?

I fully agree. I am very happy with gentoo because I can choose how I
want my system to be managed and I just don't have those *kit stuffs.

The *webkit* are very interesting. It begun with qtwebkit which take
more time to compile on my gentoo than a monster like libreoffice. lol
After that, we have now kdewebkit and webkit-gtk which also take an
eternity to compile. I just removed all the software depending on them.
I can understand they are easy to use for a developer, but on a system
like gentoo that compile everything during the installation, I just
don't want them because they just take too long time to compile.

Also on the long run, I don't think it is a good move for a developer
to use them because it will have a lot of maintenance to do. qtwebkit
is marked deprecated, and I think it is just a question of time before
the other webkits become deprecated.

> And the worst of all is systemd. It was a nice idea
> It has become near impossible to find out what
> your system is actually up to.
>
> A few weeks ago I installed Devuan (Debian fork
> wihout systemd) on two laptops. A very refreshing
> experience. Some orders of magnitude simpler. As
> a user you don't notice any difference and it
> start up faster than systemd. And for me, as admin
> of those systems, things have become a lot more
> transparent.

When it became possible to easily install it on gentoo, I took a
fast look on systemd's bugzilla. The list of bugs was so huge that I
never installed it on my system. It work fine with openrc from day 1,
and I don't want to take the risk to break a so central part of the
system.

How I see it is than several leading commercial linux distributions like
redhat have huge corporations as paid customers, and these corps need
these kits stuffs and systemd, or at least they was convinced they
need it... But into a dedicated or home computer, they are just "usines
à gaz" (gas plant - these manufactures full with pipes everywhere and
going in all possible directions at the same time) and a complete pain
in the ass to manage as a result.

Cheers,
Dominique

--
If you have a problem and you are not doing anything to fix it, you are
at the heart of the problem.