[LAU] Commenting OGG and MP3 on a remote computer without downloading (full files)

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Wed Jun 6 18:02:37 CEST 2018

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 17:57:12 +0200 (CEST)
"Jeanette C." <julien at mail.upb.de> wrote:

> Jun 6 2018, jonetsu has written:
>
> > On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 15:20:08 +0200 (CEST)
> > "Jeanette C." <julien at mail.upb.de> wrote:
> >
> >> I tried building vorbis-tools statically, but my system only
> >> provide dynamic libraries and I'd also love to avoid building a
> >> whole chain of dependencies. The remote system also is a 64bit
> >> Linux, but a different distro and I can't globally install
> >> software.
> >
> > Looks like you have to build as a separate steps static versions of
> > libogg and libvorbis.

> That's what I'm trying to avoid, if at all possible. I will also need,
> at least, id3v2 and I've had enough long and tedious encounters with
> such dependency chains to last me a lifetime. :(

Well, the example results is an oggdec from vorbis-tool that will very
likely run by itself on a amazon linux server.  Build static versions
of libogg and libvorbis seems to be rather quick and easy as a first
stage to build any of the vorbis tools statically.