[LAU] Off-topic: "A look at how the Behringer Model D compares with the Minimoog"

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Jun 18 17:40:28 CEST 2018

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 11:27 AM, robertlazarski <robertlazarski at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I guess I didn't clearly indicate that I am not talking about recording at
> all.
>
> Put a Nord stage in the same room as a Steinway - as I have seen first
> hand - and the difference is huge. I seen Keith Emersons Moog Modular live
> and felt it in the balcony.
>
> Record the same Nord and Steinway and the difference is largely lost. If
> you record that modular and compare it the Moog plugin you won't really
> know what the big deal about the Modular is. A live performance of a good
> horn section like Chicago is largely lost in the recordings.
>
> Analog synths cannot be sampled for all possibilities, which is why CV
> controlled analog synth and effect modulation separate its digital
> counterparts in sound sculpting.

​Well, now the discussion is somewhat different.

An acoustic instrument interacts with the space you hear it in in ways that
no stereo playback with common point sources is ever going to capture. It
isn't easy to capture it even using ambisonics.  ​Even if you did an analog
recording and played it back via a very good speaker system in the same
space, there will be things missing unless you do some really unusual
things with the recording and playback systems.

An electrical instrument, whether analog like the Moog Model D  or digital
like Pianoteq can't do this: it never generates ANY sound at all except via
some amplified speaker system. So it is entirely reasonable to think that
you will always hear the same thing when you play a recording (analog or
digital) of the instrument over the same playback system that you first
heard it on. There is absolutely no difference ... electrical signal
encounters speakers, is transformed into a pressure wave, reaches your
ears. Recording or original sound ... no difference.

The inability to "sample for all possibilities" certainly has an impact,
but it isn't relevant to physically modelled synthesizers, and it also has
more impact on performance possibilities than actual acoustic tone.

​