[LAU] Off-topic: "A look at how the Behringer Model D compares with the Minimoog"

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jun 20 20:32:35 CEST 2018

On Wed, 2018-06-20 at 20:17 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 21:56:26 -1000, david wrote:
> > > Sometimes I think the whole purpose of DAWs and VSTs and synths is to
> > > make it possible for someone sitting at home with no budget to write
> > > for whole symphony orchestras *and hear something like it* without
> > > spending the large amount of money needed to have an orchestra
> > > actually perform a piece.
> > >
> > > Being such a person, I'm not complaining. ;)
> >
> > You also could be e.g. a keyboard who owns a house, a real Hammond
> > with Leslie, [...]
>
> I've never previously heard the definition of a real Hammond with Leslie
> being a keyboard who owns a house, but there is something to be said for
> it.

A real Hammond without a Leslie:

http://www.b3hammond.com/images/organmain.jpg

Depending on the size of your screen, the picture might not display the
original size of the organ.

A Roland GR-55, is just a small guitar floorboard, in addition to the
floor board you need a guitar, it provides the Hammond and a Leslie:

https://static.roland.com/assets/images/products/main/gr-55-bk_top_main.jpg

There are keyboard based Hammond replacements available, too.

If you want something close to e.g. a Bernie Worrell alike organ sound,
a modern keyboard or guitar synth with emulations, is easier to
transport than a Hammond. Isn't it?