[LAU] Off-topic: "A look at how the Behringer Model D compares with the Minimoog"

robertlazarski robertlazarski at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 20:30:18 CEST 2018

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 7:36 AM, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:

> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 13:13:45 -0600, robertlazarski wrote:
> >>We are really getting off topic now, but can't help but mention that
> >>is Leo Nocentelli from the Meters next to him in the photo. Seen the
> >>Meters last year. I didn't know these guys collaborated, thanks for
> >>the link.
> >>
> >>When I last seen Deep Purple a few years ago, their current keyboard
> >>player Don Airey had the expected Hammond, I would have asked for my
> >>money back if he used a VA :-) .
> >
> > This weekend I purchased an iPolysix, it wasn't my first choice, but
> > unfortunately neither the ARP ODYSSEi, nor the iMono/Poly is
> > compatible to my iPad 2.

In the right hands I have no doubt the iPolysix can be a lot of fun and a
good tune can translate to just about any instrument.

Since Korg showed they consider value in the Polysix line by releasing
plugins, I expect them to do a Polysix reissue at some point though my
preferences would be the Trident and the Mono/Poly, the latter can have 4
independent oscillators with a shared filter aka "paraphonic" synth.

I have the Polysix emulation as part of the Oasys however I use the MS20
more since I have the MS20M reissue (no keyboard, a few innovations + the
sq10 analog CV sequencer). The Oasys 10" screen has some drum patches
(virtual patch chords lol) that I eyeball over to the MS20M as its a great
machine for that sort of thing.

> > However, I'm happy with this emulation. Always keep in mind, due to
> > missing spare parts, as well as it could be completely being
> > impossible to get one of several iconic synths, emulations are the
> > only options we have got.
>
> You sound as if nothing but emulations of any instrument existed at all.
> Where do you think the emulations are even coming from?  Emulations are
> an affordable option to get, well, an emulation.
>
> Nobody states "due to missing spare parts as well as it could be
> completely being impossible [sic] to get one of several iconic moon
> landers", "emulation are the only options we have got" to get to the
> moon.  I mean, that sounds like moon landing hoax conspiracy level
> stuff.

Before I got all messed up in the software world, I was all messed up in
electronics so I fix my own synths etc. IMHO A vintage synth requires time
like a vintage car does, with the 80's being particularly an era of cheap
and cheesy electronics as I remember it. The Polysix resembles that remark.
Most of them still around have been at least re-capped (new capacitors).

Lack of parts is a real concern in my experience. As mentioned about the
Curtis chips, its been out of stock for decades and ebay is full of scams
for such things. For my TTSH arp 2600 clone I was on the Mouser waiting
list for over a year on a couple parts they had problems with, and beyond
that I had to order a special "rare parts" kit from Thonk in the UK.
Actually I ordered 2 kits so I would have spares.

ymmv.

Regards,
Robert