[LAU] Sound from/to custom ADC/DAC

pepijn de vos pepijndevos at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 16:03:14 CET 2018

Hey,

Paul, the only clock I care about is the FPGA clock, so if I can tell JACK
to use my clock and just ignore ALSA, that would be fine.
But that probably involves writing a JACK backend, which is probably not
much easier than writing an ASLA driver.

Chris, I was unaware of I2S, it seems perfect for our purpose!
Thank you! That probably saves me a ton of trouble.

I looked into I2S support on the Raspi and the BBB a bit, and found
surprisingly little.
For the Raspi there seem to be some device tree overlays for specific ADC
and DAC boards, but it's unclear how to use for our custom FPGA.
For BBB it seems to be supported somehow, but not much info on how to
actually use it.

My main concern is that I need more than two input channels and at least
one output channel.
I'm unable to find out if either board supports more than one I2S device
(each device can be stereo it seems)

Regards,
Pepijn