[LAU] Soundcard Oscilloscope

Christopher Obbard chris at 64studio.com
Fri Mar 23 09:29:03 CET 2018

Hi Will,

I will be looking for a solution to this exact problem today, as I
need to measure & generate some audio signals.

Basically need to measure the time between two pulses, maybe a couple
of thousand times.

I was thinking of just using Audacity to generate a pulse out of the
line out, then measure the signal on the other channel.

Is there any software I can use to make life easier?

>From a quick look xoscope [http://xoscope.sourceforge.net/] looks
good, and it's already packaged for Debian.
Apparently it supports cursors too.

For the "automated test" I am thinking of exporting the data after
it's triggered as a CSV then process later in some python.
Maybe I will have to patch xoscope to do this, who knows.

It may just be cheaper to use sigrok and get a cheap Hantek scope for
£41, but this is all part of the fun :-).
Maybe a sigrock ALSA driver would be an interesting thing to write?

Cheers!
Chris