[LAU] ZFS?

Mark Raynsford list+org.linuxaudio.linux-audio-user at io7m.com
Thu May 10 15:28:00 CEST 2018

On 2018-05-10T09:12:44 -0400
Peter Lutek <peter at peterlutek.com> wrote:

> greetings, all!
>
> wondering if anyone has experience using a ZFS raidZ2 disk pool for
> audio. i'm talking about a LOCAL pool, running on ZOL
> (http://zfsonlinux.org/) -- NOT a LAN-connected dedicated server.
>
> here's an interesting test case, which seems to show entirely adequate
> throughput for multichannel audio applications:
>
> https://bit.ly/2ryO9xr
>
> (that's with openZFS on freeBSD, but i'm assuming performance should be
> similar on linux)
>
> looking forward to any thoughts y'all might have on this!

Had extremely positive experiences with it about eight years ago. I
used to produce some gcc packages for FreeBSD, and that meant having
about four gcc builds running in the background at any given time. I'd
regularly do this and *still* have glitch-free audio whilst the builds
were going on. This was on an early Core i7 machine with a three-disk
zraid array (two disks striped plus parity). I think part of the
reason it seems so fast is that the built-in compression seems to
reduce traffic on the SATA bus quite considerably.

I have no experience running ZFS on Linux though. I've resigned myself
to running ext4 there. Still running ZFS on FreeBSD to handle file
serving and backups though.

--
Mark Raynsford | http://www.io7m.com