[LAU] New Computer

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun May 20 15:40:51 CEST 2018

On Sun, 20 May 2018 13:01:10 +0200, Joakim Hernberg wrote:
>On Sat, 19 May 2018 22:57:51 +0200 Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
>> I installed devuan on a Lenovo X240 a few days ago (and I'm using it
>> to write this). So far it's working very well. Happy to get rid of
>> systemd, which may have been a good idea at the start but by now has
>> become a uncontrolable mess (and therefore a security risk). Startup
>> doesn't seem to be slower. I'll install another laptop next week, and
>> if all goes well devuan makes a very good chance of replacing
>> archlinux as my preferred distro.
>
>Heh, I've been using and observing systemd since Archlinux adopted it.
>Have found it mildly amusing that the touted fast boot time has (too)
>often more than been offset by having to wait minutes for the system
>to shutdown/reboot...:)

I'm pissed off by Arch's systemd-nspawn, since a short while ago it
stopped working when using it without the "boot" option, regarding a
broken PATH variable. Unfortunately using the syslinux bootloader
requires to maintain another install by using systemd-nspawn without
the "boot" option, since /boot of the install I want to maintain is
"bind" to a an Arch Linux partition and I want to use a script working
around this issue. It worked in the past, but stopped working a while
ago. Users can't rely on Arch's systemd-nspawn, if things arbitrarily
change.

[root at archlinux rocketmouse]# systemd-nspawn -qD /mnt/moonstudio ldconfig
execv(ldconfig) failed: No such file or directory
[root at archlinux rocketmouse]# ls -hAl /mnt/moonstudio/sbin/ldconfig
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 387 Jan 15 03:52 /mnt/moonstudio/sbin/ldconfig

--
pacman -Q linux{,-rt{-cornflower,,-pussytoes,-securityink}}|cut -d\  -f2
4.16.9-1