[LAU] OT: SSD disk prices have dropped?

Roger gurusonic at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 16:20:02 CET 2018

On 15/11/18 1:12 pm, David W. Jones wrote:
> We have the 850 EVO 500GB, bought before or around the time the 860 came out. We paid ~$120US each.
I have the same SSD, it works well. Bought for ~$AU220 several years ago
and has been 100% reliable.

> That $335 for an 850 is because the 850 was replaced with the 860 line.
Whatever the reason, it's not worth that much money.

> I think PCWorld review rated the 860 line as much faster than the 850.
IIRC they are both similar in speed but the 860 has a longer life
expectancy. This site shows the 860 EVO is 1% faster -
https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Evo-1TB-vs-Samsung-860-Evo-1TB/3576vsm423831

> I'd take the 1TB EVO 860 for $148.

That's cheaper than the listed used ones. Absolute bargain if it's legit.

I have had HDDs fail to write fast enough when recording over 30 tracks
simultaneously. Never an issue with SSD.

Cheers

Roger