[LAU] LAM

David W. Jones gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Nov 20 03:58:16 CET 2018

On November 18, 2018 10:52:11 PM HST, "Daniel Swärd" <excds at kth.se> wrote:
> On Sun, 2018-11-18 at 08:19 +0000, Will Godfrey wrote:
> > Linux Audio Music has been dormant for a very long time, but
> recently
> > I contacted the the person who hosted and ran it.
> >
> > The reason he closed it was because of a serious vulnerability was
> > discovered in Rails, and he no longer had time to do the necessary
> > upgrades.
> >
> > However, he has told me that he still has the entire database and
> the
> > code. In his own words:
> > "... would be happy to host and do what I can to facilitate a
> handoff
> > to someone else who wants to manage it."
> >
> > For anyone who doesn't know, this was a relatively simple and clean
> > site aimed specifically at providing a home for tracks composed with
> > Linux - something rather rare!
>
> Note: Just realized that the original post was cross-posted on LAU as
> well, but I'm posting my answer here too in case people are not on
> both
> lists.
>
> I think it would be easier and more manageable to just have a group on
> soundcloud (or similar) where we collect music made in Linux. This
> would remove the obstacle keeping the LAM site down (lack of time to
> keep up with updates/security fixes)...
>
> Cheers
>
> 	/Daniel

Easier and more manageable, yes, but not portable.

The future of SoundCloud is very uncertain. Should SoundCloud close, or go paid-subscription-only, it might not be a viable place for free music.

Maybe an organization like CRMA would be interested in hosting LAM and keeping infrastructure current, while someone else could manage it?

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.