[LAU] Jacks and sockets - Was: Berlin Linux Audio meeting @ c-base 2018-10-09

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Oct 7 20:31:00 CEST 2018

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 13:25:08 -0400, Tim wrote:
>On 10/07/2018 04:45 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>>
>>> Most folks become aware that even the best quality single-conductor
>>>    (with shield ground) 1/4" guitar cables eventually break. It
>>> happens to all of them. Usually at the entry point to the plug, or
>>> in the plug itself.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I confirm this and most likely anybody else does, too.
>>
>>> Now take that hard-learned experience with a single-conductor cable
>>>    and apply it to *thirteen* conductors. Guess what happens...
>>>
>>> (Jacks for these DIN type plugs are usually never a problem if
>>>    secured and soldered properly. Usually far less trouble than
>>>    other types of jacks.)
>>>
>>> Often, the cause of the cable's break is the plug's strain relief
>>>    being too tight - ironically the very thing that is supposed
>>>    to help prevent breakage in the first place.
>>>
>>> I can't be too harsh on this product for the price/weight range.
>>> But yeah, buy TWO of them to be safe.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> the reason that I like to get more information about this Roland
>> cable is, that there are a lot of less expensive 13 pin DIN cables
>> available by the Internet and I do not only need a backup cable, I
>> also want to get a shorter cable than those sold by Roland.
>>
>> Some of the non-Roland cables seem to be without a locking mechanism,
>> but other provide a locking mechanism, e.g. the CD changer cables. I
>> wonder about the used cables. Are all cable cores of the original
>> Roland cable audio cables or are the cores a mix of different kind
>> of cables? Do other 13-pin DIN cables provide the same pin to pin
>> connection as the Roland cable? Since we know that some elChepo
>> audio cables are ok for 50 cm short cables, but 3 m long cables
>> worsen sound quality, while more expensive cables are still ok for
>> cables way longer than 3 m, I wonder what 13-pole cables are good
>> and which are bad. When using the Roland cable for the "normal"
>> guitar pickups, too, the sound quality of the audio signal from the
>> "normal" pickups is good. Unfortunately there is no printing on the
>> Roland cables. If I want to build my own cables, what cables and
>> what jacks might be good?
>>
>> My favoured electronic part dealer provides only one 13-pin din jack
>> that fits, it's without locking mechanism and seemingly an elCheapo.
>> The dealer calls it "monitor plug" and yes, my Atari SM124 has got a
>> 13-pin din jack without locking mechanism, too. The dealer seems not
>> to sell any 13 cores cables at all.
>>
>> Ordering jacks and cable from perhaps different dealers + time
>> exposure might not be worth the effort, to build a non-Roland cable,
>> but perhaps ordering a CD changer cable could be a solution to
>> replace an original Roland cable.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ralf
>
>Hm, I'm seeing wildly varying prices for the cables on ebay.
>The originals seem... a little over-priced.
>I can see why you'd be shopping around, I would too :-)
> [...]

Thank you Tim :)

it was my profession to solder professional audio gear, but that time I
had eyes like gimlets and used professional soldering stations.
Nowadays, with reading glasses, an elChepo magnifier (no professional
magnifying spectacles) and several good soldering irons (but no
soldering station, let alone hot air), I dislike to solder such jacks.
If possible I'm in favour of buying a ready to use cable of that kind
and 3 m (10 foot) is exactly what I'm looking for.

I will continue to search myself, since shipping costs make several
alternative cables as expensive as an original Roland cable.

However, your hints helped a lot :). Again, thank you very much for the
pointers.

Regards,
Ralf