[LAU] Synthfest Uk 2018

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Oct 16 20:12:56 CEST 2018

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 1:06 PM Will Godfrey <willgodfrey at musically.me.uk>
wrote:

> The whole of Yoshimi is GPL V2 (or later) So payment isn't really an
> option -
> not that I'd want to make it commercial anyway. Also there are the issues
> of
> time, experience and hardware availability - pick any one :(

Nothing about the GPLv2 or any other version of the GPL prevents anyone
from selling software that uses it as a license.

The only implication of the GPL is that, according to conventional
economics, the "natural price point" is zero, since in theory anybody can
sell it for less than you, and anybody else can sell it for less than them,
and so on, all the way down to zero. And yet ... it doesn't work like that.

The bigger problem with the GPL isn't that it isn't (or wasn't)clear)that
it can ever be compatible with Apple's app store terms.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/6109/is-it-possible-to-have-gpl-software-in-the-mac-app-store

But there is absolutely no problem getting paid for GPL (v2 or whatever)
software.