[LAU] GxPlugins.lv2, Wayland and X (Was: Re: Linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 140, Issue 9)

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Oct 19 00:43:29 CEST 2018

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018, Dominique Michel wrote:

> Le Tue, 9 Oct 2018 08:42:46 -0700 (PDT),
> Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> a écrit :
>
>> getting used to  :)   No I am not suggesting a return to motif or
>> fvwm...
>
> I am using gentoo with fvwm-crystal in its svn version from years, and
> is very happy with it. fvwm with the fvwm-crystal themes just work and

I always liked fvwm. I take it -crystal adds something to that. When I
last tried fvwm, The menu had to be hand rerolled after installing a new
application for it to appear in the menu, though the utility for doing so
did seem to get it right.

> is never in my way. Also, the fvwm-crystal applications menu is the only
> one I know that have full support for the additional categories of the
> freedesktop menu norm (it is even better than the debian menu system
> for that and just work out of the box), and it never appended I lost a
> customization of that menu. These application menu concerns are the
> main reason why I begun to use fvwm-crystal: I hate to redo what I have
> already done, and I hate to do what should be done automatically by
> desktops that pretend to follow the freedesktop normalisation.

gnome and xfce (which both use the same broken system menu config file) do
not work well and the menu editors that go with them are both not that
good. KDE's old style menu works quite well. (their menu config is
correct) It is unfortunate that the freeddesktop site has the same bad
file as an example on their web site though the following paragraphs make
it plain it wouldn't work.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net