[LAU] [New music]: Edgar and the fog (bigband)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Oct 23 15:47:19 CEST 2018

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 15:08:45 +0200 (CEST), Jeanette C. wrote:
>It's certainly an extended bigband, if such. I was inspired
>by music that could be heard in the late 70s and early 80s Europa
>radioplays here in Germany. They have a repertoire of pieces with a
>similar orchestra.

Big bands not that seldom include more often atypic brass as well as
less often atypic woodwind instruments, let alone special string
sections, but usually this is a domain of "radio orchestras". Regarding
light muse we awful Germans have some well maintained fortune, the so
called "radio orchestras". I suspect that this is the only relatively
positive income of the otherwise disgusting distinction between
"E-Musik" (serious music) and "U-Musik" (entertainment music). A few
musicians don't need to do completely unrelated jobs or to be
willing to play such music as salon music. As a hardrock musician you
unlike could benefit from this approach, but for audio engineers, it
could be helpful, even if you never ever would be willing to record
a "radio orchestra", at least for getting in contact with employers.
My personality is absolutely ambivalent, also regarding "radio
orchestra" arrangements. While I like your composition and arrangement,
I would prefer to get rid of the harp and phrases of the harp repeated
by other instruments. OTOH regarding your inspiration, it makes sense
to include it.