[LAU] [New music]: Edgar and the fog (bigband)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Oct 25 01:53:58 CEST 2018

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 20:12:09 +0100, Will Godfrey wrote:
>I wouldn't know about what is, or is not expected in bigband music,
>but I enjoyed this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_band

Nowadays electric amplification isn't an issue, so loudness and
directionality of the instrument isn't that important anymore, but the
bassoon and similar instruments are not native big band instruments.
I'm not that much a big band enthusiast, I guess the only clean big
band record I own is "Two Little Animals" from the "Vienna Art
Orchestra" and maybe you could consider a Tim Isfort Orchestra CD I own
a big band recording, too, while I own the latter because I was
involved, not because I like the music. IMO big bands make sense for
old Jazz and Rock'n'Roll, but nowadays I consider big bands as
obsolete. I suspect the "Brian Setzer Orchestra" is the only existing
big band, that still does reach a huge audience of listeners with
different tastes in music and different interests. Other existing big
bands, just reach an audience with an explicit taste in music and
interests, such as e.g. ballroom dance.

However, when using synthesizers to imitate classical music, big band
music, etc. there are a few things to consider, if you want to make it
sound authentic. One thing is the orchestration, but usually we
nowadays don't like to limit our music to native orchestrations ;).

That Jeanette describes her music as big band music does fit well as a
description. The orchestration fits better to that of a radio
orchestra, but since radio orchestras could play different styles of
music, "big band music" narrows down the style, while it still could be
everything between a jazz big band playing John Coltrane and James Last
playing ABBA.