[LAU] This could affect all of us.

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Sep 7 12:54:36 CEST 2018

jonetsu <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> writes:

> On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 12:22:47 +0200
> Anders Hellquist <lau at hellquist.net> wrote:
>
>> My understanding is the the proposed changes are like copyright on
>> steroids. You can not link to articles, files of sites unless you have
>> explicit permission to do so..
>
>> That is in my mind the end of the internet as concept and a change
>> towards only controlled sites can provide information.
>
> Let's take a use case to illustrate.  If Sound on Sound magazine does
> not object to having a public article of theirs being freely shared,
> who will then enforce the restriction despite the authors' will and on
> what basis ?

The respective country's bilateral partner of the copyright society that
Sound on Sound had to sign a contract with in order to get into standard
distribution channels.  The artists' will in concrete matters of
copyright is of rather marginal importance since they have to sign a
significant part of their rights over in order to get coverage.  If the
artists would in any manner be a driving force of copyright enforcement,
extending copyright beyond their death would be absurd rather than a
powerful asset in the hand of the media industry.

--
David Kastrup