[LAU] performance problems after kernel/microcode update ?

Niklas Reppel nik at parkellipsen.de
Thu Sep 13 23:26:30 CEST 2018

Hi,

i recently updated my Arch linux system, to to the following version:

Linux 4.18.6-arch1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT

Afterwards, i noticed that something has changed regarding the realtime
permissions
and that i had to install a new package called 'realtime-priviliges',
which i never needed before,
and subsequently add my main user to the 'realtime' group.

In that wake, i updated the processor microcode, which i didn't use at
all before (there always was some
error message during bootup, but nothing else).

After being able to start JACK in realtime again, i felt that there was
a significant loss of performance.
Things that didn't cause any dropouts before now start to crackle and
gristle (as a sidenote, i mostly
use SuperCollider to make sound).

Also, and this puzzled me especially, there were dropouts, but no XRuns
... normally, when i push the
system to the limits, i get XRuns, that'd be expected. But now, it's
dropouts without, and they start way
earlier.

My machine has an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz Processor if
that info is of user for anyone ...

Anybody else noticed something like that recently ?

Best,
nik

--
Niklas Reppel