[LAU] Recommended USB Audio Interface

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Sep 15 00:51:10 CEST 2018

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 09:55:05 +0200, Mailing JS wrote:
>Hi Ralf,
>>> if possible [snip] channel adjusting via alsa mixer
>>
>> For the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen alsamixer provides
>> no channel faders. IMO this isn't a disadvantage. A disadvantage are
>> missing routing settings. Fortunately the Focusrite has got no
>> monitoring routing by default, so it works without issues, if latency
>> doesn't matter or when using a mixing console for monitoring.
>
>While the device has hardware gain knobs, ALSA volume control seems for
>me not neccessary. I think, the base routing is possible thru jackd. So
>it could be a good choice.
>
>Thanx

Btw. the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen can be used with
less latency than the PreSonus AudioBox 1818VSL, _but_ the audio
quality of both devices can't compare to RME audio devices. If I were
you, and assuming you should have the money, consider to test a RME
Baybeface. OTOH I never used a Babyface myself and I don't know what
ADAT device to use, to get enough channels. I own a Behringer ADA 8000,
that I fortunately don't really need, since the audio quality isn't
better than what the Focusrite provides, the PSU is a heater and the
Focusrite already provides enough channels. However, for master mixing
I try to avoid using the Focusrite, instead I use a RME PCIe card. IMO
recording could be done using pro-sumer gear, but mixing with pro-sumer
gear could be a PITA.

I'm aware that if we are used to pro-sumer gear we know, we could do a
good mix, but note, if we replace pro-sumer gear by other pro-sumer
gear, it takes longer, more test mixings in the beginning, than we need
to do, if we replace pro-sumer gear by professional gear.