[LAU] Live setup question with Carla

Jeanette C. julien at mail.upb.de
Tue Sep 25 13:32:10 CEST 2018

Hey hey,
I am helping a friend to set up a live performance system. The general
requirements are: one master keyboard connected to a notebook, which
hosts several plugins (VST through wine and Pianoteq in some form). The
challenge: switch the sound engine which the master keyboard is
controlling via MIDI (from the keyboard) or through another cheap
controller.

The current state: use Carla to host the instruments and try to map
certain MIDI controllers to switch the internal routing. To that end I
found one thread on Linux Musicians, where FalkTX suggested using some
MIDI filtering plugin (like pizmidi-plugins or x42) or a standalone app
like mididings. No final solution was posted/described.

Does anyone have a working solution to that kind of setup? It doesn't
necessarily have to use Carla at the core, as long as it can host the
instruments involved. Namely, these would be vb3 version 2 and M-Tron
Pro (VSTs through wine) and Pianoteq, in which ever format.

As far as I am aware, no layering or splitting setups are intended.

Best wishes and thanks for any hints,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Do you even know what I like