[LAU] Firewire modules

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Tue Apr 2 00:47:36 CEST 2019

On March 31, 2019 2:40:19 PM PDT, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:
>Are there very many/any people using firewire devices?
>
>If so is it with the alsa modules or the faddo modules?
>
>My final question being how good are the alsa modules? do they cover
>most
>of the FW devices out there? Or is removing alsa FW mod and using faddo
>
>the way to go?
>
>--
>Len Ovens
>www.ovenwerks.net

I'm using a RME Fireface 800, which works very reliable with libffado and JACK (e.g. down to 64 samples @48kHz).
I only replaced (nearly all) capacitors quite recently (some on the outputs were fried due to connection to phantom powered ins I assume). In combination with an Expresscard for Firewire800, it's very useful as a mobile setup, too.
I haven't tried, if there's ALSA support for that device (I doubt it). The hardware mixer and settings integration is quite good using ffado, but sadly there's no MIDI :-/

I guess upstream has some documentation on what's currently available in ALSA, but probably the most recent info can be retrieved from the (high traffic) alsa-devel mailing list.

Best,
David
--
https://sleepmap.de