[LAU] Request to mailing list Linux-audio-user rejected

Mac macdroid53 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 19:00:48 CEST 2019

I've been doing some experiments with the system I have.
The system: the mobo has onboard 8 channels (front panel L/R, rear panel
L/R, rear panel line out L/R, rear panel sub L/R) and a Echo AF12 on
firewire.

At this point UBS Controls can select between the on board and the AF12 (I
assume when the AF12 is selected and 12 channels appear in Carla or
Patchage this is via ALSA)

Observations:
- alsamixer shows both onboard and AF12
- when AF12 is selected in alsamixer, alsamixer shows nothing
- when on board is selected in alsamixer, alsamixer shows the 8 outputs

- when selected in UBS Controls the associated ports are shown in
Carla/Patchage
- when on board is selected, 8 ports are shown, but only the front panel
L/R produce any signal when connected in Carla/Patchage
   (all 8 are unmuted and at 0db in alsamixer)
   anybody know how to get the other 6 outputs working?
- when AF12 is selected 12 channels are shown in Carla/Patchage

With on board selected and players/plugins started and connected between
player and front panel L/R all appears good and sounds ok.

With AF12 selected and same player/plugin combo is made sounds good, except
occasionally REALLY nasty high volume (as in speaker/ear damaging loud)
digital burst happens.

In order to test with just ffado I attempted to adapt a script I use on
another pc to force only jack. The adapted part shown below:
#!/bin/bash
set -x
killall -9 jackd jackdbus
#jack_control ds alsa dps capture none dps playback none
jack_control ds firewire dps capture none dps playback none
#jack_control dps device hw:PCH
jack_control dps rate 48000
jack_control dps nperiods 2
jack_control dps period 1024
jack_control start
pactl unload-module module-udev-detect
pactl unload-module module-alsa-card
pactl unload-module module-jackdbus-detect
pactl load-module module-jack-sink client_name=PulseOut channels=2
connect=no
pactl load-module module-jack-source client_name=PulseIn channels=2
connect=no
set +x
exit

This results in the channels of the AF12 being listed like this:

firewire_pcm
00148605c4409ac_Unknown_out
00148605c4409ac_Unknown0_out
00148605c4409ac_Unknown1_out
00148605c4409ac_Unknown2_out
00148605c4409ac_Unknown3_out
00148605c4409ac_Unknown4_out
00148605c4409ac_Unknown5_out
00148605c4409ac_Unknown6_out
00148605c4409ac_Unknown7_out
00148605c4409ac_Unknown8_out
00148605c4409ac_Unknown9_out
00148605c4409ac_Unknown10_out
00148605c4409ac_Unknown11_out

Where Unknown_out is the 1st channel of the AF12, Unknown0_out is the 2nd
channel, etc. (Unknown11_out is the midi port)
I do not know how to get human readable names as can be done in Qjack...
Anybody know how to do this from the command line? Or set the name of the
device to something other than firewire_pcm?

So far I have NOT been able to duplicate the crazy noise spikes I was
getting with alsa running the AF12.