[LAU] Record / playback MIDI through MIDI <--> USB cable?

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 03:07:49 CEST 2019

Hi,

I'm on an Arch Linux system, and now have an old Yamaha PSR-220 (TM)
"portable keyboard" and an iConnectivity Mio (TM) MIDI to USB cable.
My MIDI-fu is extremely limited.

When I plug in the cable, it shows up (sans name) in lsusb as "Bus 001
Device 005: ID 2321:000a"

What is a good way to save keyboard stuff as .mid files and vice-versa
(play MIDI files out to the keyboard)?

Last week I fooled around with cat'ing to and from /dev/snd/midiC1D0
as mentioned in
[https://askubuntu.com/questions/633185/how-to-send-midi-raw-data-to-a-midi-device-node#633317]
and was able to get "noise" sending a MIDI file out, and get "garbage"
from the keyboard. I just don't know the RIGHT way to do stuff. (My
web searches weren't turning up obvious leads, which is how I ended up
at the above. It sounded like the closest to what I was trying to
ask.)

Thanks.