[LAU] systemd woes with jackd and its permissions (raspbian)

Marc Joliet marcec at gmx.de
Fri Feb 1 02:14:30 CET 2019

Am Montag, 28. Januar 2019, 13:04:36 CET schrieb Peter P.:
> * Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> [2019-01-28 01:59]:
> > On Mon, 28 Jan 2019, Peter P. wrote:
> > > Now I try to start jackd automatically from a systemd service file
> > > created as /etc/systemd/system/jackd.service with the following
> >
> > why /etc/systemd/system and not /etc/systemd/user/?
>
> Frankly, I don't know. It seems there are about three different places
> for system-wide service files on Debian and I don't know if the
> /etc/systemd/user/ is for user-supplied services or for user-services
> installed system-wide or whatever. I read that /etc/systemd/system is
> the place for things to go in and which will be untouched by apt
> upgrade.

See the section "UNIT FILE LOAD PATH" in systemd.unit(5) for a detailed
overview of the paths systemd looks at for unit files.  From there you can see
that you can also put user units in your home directory under ~/.config/
systemd/user/, which is what I do (although pretty much all software I use now
provides its own user units, so I don't have much in there now).  Of course,
if you prefer /etc/ that is also fine and the units will be available to all
users (so the answer is: /etc/systemd/user/ is for user units installed
system-wide *by the administrator*).

HTH
--
Marc Joliet