[LAU] Save configurations query

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Feb 15 16:40:25 CET 2019

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 13:00:10 +0000, Jonty Needham wrote:
>This is a real n00b question, so I apolgise in advance.

This does speak volumes about Linux {,audio} mailing lists :(.

>I am struggling with saving my connections and setup through reboots
>etc using qjackctl, and a host of synths (Zyn, Hydrogen, QSynth) as
>well as Ardour. How do I make it all link together in the correct way
>when I start my project again?

For this kind of Linux audio sessions I recommend to write a script
that just loads one app after and just in case after killing them and
then to restores all or at least almost all connections using
http://aj-snapshot.sourceforge.net/,
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/aj-snapshot/
https://packages.ubuntu.com/cosmic/aj-snapshot
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/aj-snapshot.

A simple script:

#!/bin/bash
killall -9 qjackctl app_1 app_n jackd
jackd --sync -Xalsarawmidi -dalsa -r48000 -p256 #or any other parameters and values
sleep 2
app_1 &
sleep 2
app_n &
sleep 2
qjackctl & #might also be used to auto-restore connections, so it's better to first start jackd or jackdbus,
           #followed by the apps, followed by the DAW (Ardour), which also might restore connections,
           #followed by qjackctl and aj-snapshot
sleep 2
aj-snapwrap -rx /path/to/snapshot.ajs
exit

The "&" as well as "sleep" might not be required, but could be helpful.