[LAU] Linux mint for audio?

djdualcore at protonmail.com djdualcore at protonmail.com
Sun Feb 17 01:07:15 CET 2019

I have used Mint in the past for audio (as well as other things).  Although I am not currently using it I did quite like it at the time.

For editing, sequencing, drum programming and the like in-the-box I think you will fine.  JACK, Ardour, Luppp and Hydrogen worked fine for me when I was on Mint, so far as I remember.

But you also say "recording."  If that means serious overdubbing or anything else where monitoring and minimal latency are a really big deal you may want a distribution that is specifically set up for low latency.  My computer music does not involve this so I can not be more specific.  I only know latency is critical in some recording situations.  "Desktop" distributions like Mint are not configured with this in mind.

If you need super-low latency and want to use Mint it may take extra tweaking.  Again, I do not know the details.  If you want low latency pre-configured you might consider an audio-specific distribution.

On the other hand, if you are like me and your work is not effected by the round-trip time out of the box and back in, go with Mint.  It is a very pretty, easy to install, nicely packaged, general-purpose, DEB-based desktop distribution that supports all the best desktop environments.  At least, it was three years ago, which is probably the last time I used it.

Neil

Sent from [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.ch), encrypted email based in Switzerland.