[LAU] Linux mint for audio?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Feb 17 10:44:36 CET 2019

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 23:12:56 -1000, David W. Jones wrote:
>On February 16, 2019 10:47:32 PM HST, Hermann Meyer <brummer- at web.de>
>wrote:

>> Ubuntu
>> Ubuntu is
>> > That is something completely different, since
>> >
>> > 1. Ubuntu has a huge users base and provides quite good support,
>> e.g. by
>> > mailing lists. Mint doesn't.
>> >
>> > 2. Take a look at the Debian tracker, for example
>> >
>> > https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/ardour
>> >
>> > on the right side the Ubuntu link is available, Debian and Ubuntu
>> > do cooperate. There is no direct cooperation with Mint.
>> >
>> > 3. Ubuntu takes over responsibility, for example
>> >
>> > https://usn.ubuntu.com/
>>

>> True is that a couple of debian maintainers been as well the
>> maintainers
>> of the Ubuntu packages, but that didn't change that Ubuntu is a
>> debian derivative.
>>
>> Your stance above about derivative or not is completely unrelated
>> (foolish) to what you would prove as a better alternative. It's just
>> polemic.
>>
>> The rest you wrote prove your point a way better.
>
>I've had great results using Debian Testing and Xubuntu 18 + the
>kxstudio repositories on different machines. Recommended.

The third party packages provided by kxstudio are audio related
packages, which could make sense, while the third party packages
provided by Mint aren't audio related, so they could be the reasons for
unreasonable soname and other pitfalls. Regarding other pitfalls, for
example, is there a Mint security team? In context of this audio
software related thread about Mint, I too recommend Debian or
official Ubuntu flavours with or without third party audio packages +
in this context I'm against Mint, for the already given infrastructure
reasons.

My personal choice is Arch Linux, but this is unrelated to the subject
"Linux mint for audio?".