[LAU] Maudio M-track eight

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Feb 17 21:48:03 CET 2019

On Sun, 2019-02-17 at 20:26 +0000, Will Godfrey wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:36:49 +0100
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi Will,
> >
> > each time an USB device doesn't work correctly on my machines, I test
> > what happens, if I connect it via an active USB hub. Since playback
> > works, I don't think the issue is related to USB power, but a test
> > doesn't harm.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ralf
>
> The M-Track Eight runs from it's own DC power supply, and that seems to be
> quite substantial.

That a device has got it's own power supply doesn't mean that USB power
is unimportant. I still guess that the issue you experience is indeed
unrelated to USB power, but if I were you, I would simply rule out that
it might be an USB power issue by connecting via an active USB hub.

The device's power supply might be used for the audio related analog and
digital circuits, but be separated from the USB controller, which
actually might be a good thing regarding galvanic isolation to avoid
ground loops.

It's indeed most unlikely that an active USB hub does solve the issue,
an USB power weakness is the culprit. It's just a starting point to
troubleshoot. I troubleshooted way too often ignoring such unlikely
issues and in the end the most unlikely culprit, actually was the
culprit. YMMV!