[LAU] [New electro-acoustic composition]: hatched from an empty shell

Jeanette C. julien at mail.upb.de
Fri Feb 22 20:44:19 CET 2019

Feb 22 2019, Erik Schoster has written:
> How did you approach the effects processing? I like the sound of the synthetic space very much, and how it blends with other synth-type sounds (maybe actually artifacts of the processing) that emerge.
Thanks for your kind feedback, I'm glad to hear it.

As for my approach: I thought of it rather like a scene in a radioplay.
I created the room first (dimensions, wall properties,...) and then I
placed the constants in it, the distant traffic, the spiralling winds
and of course me going down the stairs. Creating the path for that was
rather cumbersome, even with a few helpful utilities. :)

The little peripheral scenes of the doors opening and revealing their
secrets were mixed in extra Csound orchestras ans then statically placed
somewhere along the wall, in line with the straight bits of the walk.

For the few synthetic textures I went with my feelings. Creating the
sounds in Csound, building the chords and adding a bit more to make them
more ethereal and surreal. Adding a kind of phaser or playing with
Csound Waveguide.

Since the virtual tower is 60 metres high, I had to move the listener
occasionally, to keep the sound within good reach. For that the strange
balloon/elevator sound was inserted to "paint" the move and help with
perspective.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c