[LAU] [Off topic] lists.linuxaudio.org mailing list memberships reminder

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Jan 3 14:18:06 CET 2019

On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 13:17:09 +0100, Daniel Swärd wrote:
>On Wed, 2019-01-02 at 21:02 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> and outmanoeuvre paste suppression
>
>Suppressing paste must be the most idiotic "security enhancing" feature
>ever.

I doubt it's intended as a security enhancement. What makes you
think that this should be related to security? My guess is, that
email providers and other suppress "paste" for "repeat your email
address, password or whatsoever" that their users do this gazillion
times a week, so that thousands of users would accidentally copy some
random thing two times from the buffer. Two times the same means, that
it does pass the comparison between the first field and the repeat
field. This would result in users sending thousands of requests to the
support. "My user name is idiot. I don't know what address I used to
subscribe. Please help!" If it's not a random email address, then maybe
a random password, so they at least cause server loead, since they need
to request a password reset. That's just my guess, perhaps I'm
mistaken.