[LAU] USB interface for backing up old tracks mastered on cassette

David W. Jones gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Jan 16 21:40:56 CET 2019

On January 16, 2019 9:12:54 AM HST, Joe Hartley <jh at brainiac.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 18:26:39 +0000 (UTC)
> Jordan Muscott <augustusgorman at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the reply. I know this part of the question isn't linux
> specific, but presumably the AD converters in something like that
> aren't "as good" as those in a more expensive device though?
>
> True.  The Behringer is locked at 48kHz/16bits, and uses a fairly
> basic chip.
> This is usually fine for CD-quality transfers.  There are better chips
> one could
> get, but I wouldn't be able to hear the difference in coming from a
> cassette.
>
> > I guess my question is do I have to fork out for a feature rich
> device such as one of the RME ones, or is there something with a more
> limited feature set out there (eg only 2 channels) that is of equally
> high quality?
>
> You can, but for me it's a cost/benefit thing.  Do you need 12
> channels of
> I/O?  The high-end pre-amps?  MIDI?  ADAT or SPDIF?  Not for the task
> of
> doing tape to digital conversion.  If you want a really great
> interface with
> all of that, the Babyface Pro is top-notch, but is priced accordingly.
>
> > And then of course the linux specific question is -> Is it
> supported?
>
> Yes, the UCA202 is a USB compliant device, which means you plug it in,
> and it's
> recognized as an audio interface in your system.  Couldn't be easier!
>
> I still use a UCA202 to do my tape and LP transfers into a Linux
> laptop,
> even though I've got a Soundcraft MTK mixer at my disposal.  It does
> only
> one thing, but it's not bad at it.
>
> Good luck!

I've been using my UCA202 as output device and as stereo input from a small 10-channel mixer. (The other audio sources plug into the mixer.) UCA just works on Linux (Debian and Ubuntu). 48Khz/16-bit is better quality than my ears, my amp and stereo speakers can output.

I'm happy with it.

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.