[LAU] memlock limits not set correctly?

Bill Gribble grib at billgribble.com
Wed Jan 16 23:12:59 CET 2019

On 1/16/19 5:02 PM, Michael Jarosch wrote:
> I also tried this on my laptop, a debian testing system:
> :~$ ulimit
> unlimited
>
> :~$ ulimit -l
> 65536
>
> Can someone explain the difference?
> /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf says:
>
> @audio   -  rtprio     95
> @audio   -  memlock    unlimited

Thanks for this.  I too am on a Debian system, so this is probably a
Debian-specific problem.

"ulimit" with no arguments prints the maximum file size limit, and is a
synonym for "ulimit -f".

To see all user limits, "ulimit -a".  "ulimit -l" just prints the
maximum size of a memory locked segment in MB.

The behavior you are seeing is the same as mine: the limit setting in
/etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf is not being respected (assuming that
the user from which you printed that transcript is in the "audio" group).

I have opened a Debian bug report against the "libpam-modules" package
(containing pam_limits.so, the module that actually reads and applies
the /etc/security/limits.{conf,d} limits).  We'll see what happens!

bg