[LAU] USB interface for backing up old tracks mastered on cassette

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Thu Jan 17 10:25:41 CET 2019

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 09:59:01 +0100
Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy at autostatic.com> wrote:

>Hello Jordan,
>
>> Thanks for the reply. I know this part of the question isn't linux specific, but presumably the AD converters in something like that aren't "as good" as those in a more expensive device though?
>
>The Behringer UCA202 has a decent quality TI Burr-Brown DA converter
>inside, nothing wrong with that. The cassette player and cassette itself
>are probably more important. Most cassette players have a frequency
>range up to like 12kHz or even less, not sure about the frequency rates
> of cassettes themselves. But you're referring to metal cassettes which
>have the highest maximum frequency rate. These rates are nothing the
>UCA202 can't deal with as they're way within the rates the device can
>capture.
>
>Best,
>
>Jeremy

I would say that of greater significance is noise level, In comparison to even
the most basic interface, cassettes are very noisy (even when using Dolby
systems). As for frequency response, it's a highly variable quantity, and (for
metal tapes) is dependent almost entirely on the *playback* machine, and it's
the head gap width and alignment that is critical - recording can have a much
wider gap size. With a good quality machine you should just about get to 18kHz

For the best possible results, you should fast wind each tape first to loosen
it up, then clean the heads, and while playing a track adjust the head settings
(height as well if it's available) for maximum hf output consistent with
minimum crosstalk. Although tedious, you should do this for each tape.

HTH

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk