[LAU] USB interface for backing up old tracks mastered on cassette

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jan 22 14:01:48 CET 2019

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 15:00:46 +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>Replacements for the disintegrating belts for the AIWA are offered on
>Ebay.

Thank you, but it's perhaps more then a decade too late for the AIWA
compact cassette recorder. The AIWA indeed suffered from flutter. IIRC a
friend replaced the belt with another belt, maybe not a belt made for
the AIWA, at least it didn't solve the issue. He junked the AIWA during
a clean up, which is ok for me, since I tend to store more than enough
borked gear, just to cannibalize it, if it should be helpful. I still
own my portable AIWA DAT recorder and my hifi rack Sony DAT recorders.
Both are consumer grade devices, both first started to eat the tapes,
te AIWA earlier than the Sony, but nowadays the Sony even doesn't open
the cassette compartment anymore. At least both still could be used as
analog to/from S/PDIF converters to expand an audio interface, but
actually I don't need it.