[LAU] systemd woes with jackd and its permissions (raspbian)

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Jan 28 01:59:07 CET 2019

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019, Peter P. wrote:

> Now I try to start jackd automatically from a systemd service file
> created as /etc/systemd/system/jackd.service with the following

why /etc/systemd/system and not /etc/systemd/user/?

> contents:
>
> 	[Unit]
> 	Description=jackd
> 	After=sound.target
> 	[Service]
> 	User=peter

Does systemd allow Group=audio

> 	ExecStart=/usr/bin/jackd -d alsa -r 44100 -P

Would it be better starting a bash -l -c to wrap jackd?

You seem to be wanting to run this before any user is logged in. Does that
mean the user will run automatically or unattended? If so, I would use a
multi-terminal text session manager like screen which can start itself
with a number of processes running. If started by dbus-launch, you would
still have that functionality as well. hmm, I am thinking about this and
realizing I have not tried this trick with systemd, but /etc/rc.local
(which should still work with systemd).

OK, from:
http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/systemd.exec.5.html
Group=audio
would start things as group audio and may have trouble writing logs etc.
to the user directorys.
starting the commandline with + has some effect on this but if that opens
things or restricts them I am not sure.
SupplementaryGroups=audio may give both group=user and group=audio
Systemd should be set up for security and as such default to a lower
security level rather than higher. So even though the user is a part of
more than one group, the actual groups needed by the process may need to
all listed.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net