[LAU] Muse 3.1

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Mon Jul 1 01:21:31 CEST 2019

Tim <termtech at rogers.com> writes:

> On 6/28/19 10:06 AM, Brent Busby wrote:
>> Anyone have any comments about Muse 3.1?
>
> [ Sound of crickets chirping, tumbleweeds rolling... ]
>
> That popular, eh?

Yeah, I was kind of making me wonder if I was the only one who uses it.

>> I've been on 2.1 as my main sequencer for ages.
>
> Ancient. Stick with 3.1.x, far superior.
> Recommended to use the git master until next releases because
>  it is updated almost daily with important fixes and features.

Ok I will check it out!

> Speaking of features...
> The day after you posted this, I finished something sorely missing
>  from MusE since day one (almost 20 years ago):
>
> * Comprehensive full audio and midi *latency* correction/compensation.

While impressive, I'm probably not the best person to try to sell that
feature to.  I may actually be one of the world's only fans of what gets
called MIDI "slop."  When the timing of everything doesn't completely
align, and it's not perfect, that seems to complement my music, which is
very analog and noisy and fuzzy, and I think it just makes everything
more interesting.  I used to have a Yamaha V50 digital synth even, which
had an underpowered CPU of some kind on it.  If you had the onboard
sequencer send a MIDI program change command to the effects processor
during sequence playback, there would be a noticeable stutter in
playback as the tempo lagged, and then the reverb would kick in and
things would continue as before, enveloped in hall reverb.  It was a
design bug and not an intentional feature, but I loved it.  I never want
electronic music to be too perfect.

--
		+ "The introduction of a new kind of music must