[LAU] poly-rhythms

Kjetil Matheussen k.s.matheussen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 14:28:24 CEST 2019

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 2:00 PM Dominique Michel
<dominique.c.michel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Le Sat, 13 Jul 2019 15:21:53 +0200,
> Kjetil Matheussen <k.s.matheussen at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> > Dominique Michel:
> > >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > In the gtk1 days, it was rhythmlab for experimenting with
> > > polyrhythmic. http://www.panix.com/~asl2/music/RhythmLab/
> > >
> > > Today, it seam possible to do it with ableton. Is it some native
> > > GNU/Linux solutions for such kind of rhythms?
> > >

> > Here's one way to do it in Radium:
> > http://users.notam02.no/~kjetism/radium/pictures/2019-07-13_15-12-57.mkv
> > (sound is a little bit screwed up in the recording, for some reason,
> > but you get the idea)
> >
> > Is this somewhat similar to working in RhythmLab, except that you drag
> > the length of sequencer blocks instead of changing the dragging the
> > "period" slider?
>
> It will be the occasion to make a gentoo ebuild for radium. Which imply
> I will try it later.
>
> Rhytmlab can use a constant time both for a measure or for a beat.
> A constant measure time imply a variable tempo between rhythms with
> different number of beats, when a constant beat time imply a constant
> tempo and variable LCM (least common multiple) of the number of beats
> for the different rhythms, the LCM being the total number of beats for
> the combined rhythms to start again.
>
> Rhythmlab was good for visualizing rhythms with constant measure time,
> but I think the constant beat time approach is more realistic and
> useful for live performances.
> Also, rhythms with constant measure time can be see as triplets,
> quintolet (in french, cinquillo in spanish), sextuplets and so on.

Okay. In Radium, I guess you rather would want to have different
number of beats in each parallel block, and afterwards stretch them so
that the duration matches,
instead of having parallel blocks with lots of beats and then stretch
them so that the duration does not match, as I showed in the video.
Both ways are possible.