[LAU] poly-rhythms

Dominique Michel dominique.c.michel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 15:50:44 CEST 2019

Le Wed, 17 Jul 2019 20:51:07 -0400,
Robert Vogel <vogelrl at gmx.com> a écrit :

> Have you tried Musescore ?

Yes, but I don't see any practical way to make mscore to understand
than, i.e. with combined 3/4, 4/4 and 7/8 rhythms, each on a different
instrument, a 3/4 measure must take the same time to play than a
4/4 measure and than a 7/8 measure. Maybe it is some trick to do it,
but in that case I just didn't find it.

> On 7/14/19 8:28 AM, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 2:00 PM Dominique Michel
> > <dominique.c.michel at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> It will be the occasion to make a gentoo ebuild for radium. Which
> >> imply I will try it later.
> >>
> >> Rhytmlab can use a constant time both for a measure or for a beat.
> >> A constant measure time imply a variable tempo between rhythms with
> >> different number of beats, when a constant beat time imply a
> >> constant tempo and variable LCM (least common multiple) of the
> >> number of beats for the different rhythms, the LCM being the total
> >> number of beats for the combined rhythms to start again.
> >>
> >> Rhythmlab was good for visualizing rhythms with constant measure
> >> time, but I think the constant beat time approach is more
> >> realistic and useful for live performances.
> >> Also, rhythms with constant measure time can be see as triplets,
> >> quintolet (in french, cinquillo in spanish), sextuplets and so on.
> >>
> > Okay. In Radium, I guess you rather would want to have different
> > number of beats in each parallel block, and afterwards stretch them
> > so that the duration matches,
> > instead of having parallel blocks with lots of beats and then
> > stretch them so that the duration does not match, as I showed in
> > the video. Both ways are possible.

If you have a problem and you are not doing anything to fix it, you are
at the heart of the problem.