[LAU] External Class Compliant Sound Cards

Kamil Adiloglu kamil.adiloglu at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 10:20:09 CEST 2019

Dear list,
I am compiling a list of suitable sound cards for a mobile real-time
experimental setup. There are some criteria that such a sound card should
fulfil:
- External sound card: We have a mini PC with an on-board sound chip. We
want to use an external sound card with a decent sound quality. Our mini PC
has USB-2, USB-3, USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) connections.

- Class compliance: We have a real-time signal processing platform, the
Master Hearing Aid, which runs on Linux (Actually it also supports Windows
and Mac, but we prefer Linux). Therefore we need a sound card, which Linux
can operate. Manufacturers usually do not officially support Linux, but
there are some, which run on Linux, because they are class compliant and do
not require a dedicated driver.

- At least 4 (preferably 6) analog (identical) inputs and at least 2 analog
(identical) outputs

- Lower sampling rates: As we will do real-time signal processing, we
prefer lower sampling rates for the sake of computational complexity.
Therefore, ideally we would like to have a sound card, which supports even
16kHz, but 32kHz also OK.

I know that these criteria are not easy to fulfil. So far, I couldn't find
any sound card, which fulfils all the requirements. In the worst case, we
can sacrifice the last requirement and downsample our sound input before
processing, but it is a good-to-have one.

We would appreciate any suggestion. Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Kamil Adiloglu