[LAU] RME Babyface Pro questions

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sat Mar 2 22:19:24 CET 2019

On Sat, Mar 02, 2019 at 04:02:50PM -0500, Joe Hartley wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 21:19:35 +0100
> Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
>
> > I'm still very happy with my Babyface Pro. Got another one at work.
>
> I appreciate the heads-up on the balancing issues.  It does seem strange
> that the 1/4" TRS inputs are unbalanced.  Are those the only unbalanced
> ports on the uniit?

Outputs 3 and 4 (headphone) are unbalanced of course.
In and outs 1 and 2 (on the XLRs) are balanced.

Regarding pure audio quality (i.e. mic preamp and the A/D and D/A
parts), the Babyface is near perfect.

RE the ADAT clock issue: the consequence is that if you have a
network of ADAT devices, and you use both ADAT in and out on
the Babyface, then there MUST be another device acting as the
master clock.

For example, at work the Babyface is connected to an RME ADI-648
(MADI/ADAT switch) which is also the clock master. In that case
you can reroute the Babyface ADAT out to its ADAT in without
problems, as it doesn't receive its own clock back.

Ciao,

--
FA