[LAU] New 'acoustic metamaterial' cancels sound

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Fri Mar 8 20:55:38 CET 2019

On 3/8/19 8:46 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> On 3/7/19 8:49 PM, David W. Jones wrote:
>> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190307103109.htm
>>
>> Might make managing sound a bit easier in studios?
>

> If your biggest worry is annoying the neighbours with your studio
> exhaust pipe, then definitely yes.

Jokes aside, I'm trying to wrap my head around this one:

"By comparing sound levels with and without the metamaterial fastened in
place, the team found that they could silence nearly all -- 94 percent
to be exact -- of the noise, making the sounds emanating from the
loudspeaker imperceptible to the human ear."

Let's assume that percentage refers to sound pressure level, not
spectral width. Is it reasonable to expect something like 24dB damping
in a narrow band? That would be really nice, but not amazing.
Yet, if it's a high pitched noise they're battling, that probably
translates to "still very annoying".
Those evil log scales, here's why the press likes percentages better.
Unfortunately, our senses don't care.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Tuinbouwstraat 180, 1097 ZB Amsterdam, Nederland

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Tonmeister VDT
http://stackingdwarves.net