[LAU] New 'acoustic metamaterial' cancels sound

David W. Jones gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Mar 8 23:17:57 CET 2019

On March 8, 2019 8:53:21 AM HST, Peter <list at schmitteckert.com> wrote:
> Dear David,
>
> Am 07.03.19 um 20:49 schrieb David W. Jones:
> > https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190307103109.htm
> >
> > Might make managing sound a bit easier in studios?
>
> I took a short look at the cited publication, Phys. Rev. B99, 024302.
>
> While the device is surely interesting, it won't help you in studios.
> You can put the ring on a tube to block a small frequency window.
>
> The device is based on on Fano-resonance and is there relatively
> narrow.
> In the publication the centre frequency of the near perfect damping
> is ~ 460Hz, and a width of ~20 Hz (estimated from the figure).
>
> So this might be interesting to filter noise from an air-conditioning,
> which may make managing sound a bit easier during a hot summer,
> otherwise it won't help much.
>
> Best regards,
> Peter

Thanks, I was visualizing it as a sheet of material you could just hang like a curtain. I think the damping frequency can be changed for different versions of the material?

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.