[LAU] Command-line render a MIDI file with a VST instrument?

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 19:41:23 CET 2019

On 14/03/19 16:38, Mark Raynsford wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm attempting to produce a set of sound files that will be loaded into
> a sampler. Given a MIDI file that contains a single channel containing
> eight one-second notes, I'd like to be able to instantiate a VST plugin,
> load a preset into it, pass the MIDI file through it, and record the
> output to an audio file without any leading or trailing silence. I'd
> like to be able to do that entirely from the command line without any
> interactivity. I have a couple of hundred repetitions of this that I'd
> want to perform, so as you can imagine I don't want to waste any time
> on manual input.
>
> Is there anything open-source out there that allows for this kind of
> headless, command-line rendering?

Is the VST plugin and preset the same for all MIDI files? in that case
you could load the plugin and preset in e.g. Ardour as Jeanette suggested.
Then a scripted combination of commandline tools Jack-smf-utils [1],
jack_capture [2], jack_freewheel [3] might work.

In theory this would be doable also in Pd (again with some minor
scripting glue and running it 'headless'). Problem is, I don't think
there's any external to load vst plugins in linux...

Lorenzo.

[1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/jack-smf-utils/
[2] https://github.com/kmatheussen/jack_capture
[3] Included with JACK (I think)