[LAU] Command-line render a MIDI file with a VST instrument?

Mark Raynsford list+org.linuxaudio.linux-audio-user at io7m.com
Sat Mar 16 14:17:38 CET 2019

Thanks, all who replied!

I'm still undecided as to which way I'm going yet. I should elaborate a
bit: I'm producing a SoundFont. Each SoundFont instrument is produced
by recording eight notes (C0, C1, C2, ...) into a single FLAC file
which is then sliced up programatically. Right now, I'm using Ardour
to export the notes, but this is painful and requires a lot of manual
labour.

I can make the following simplifying assumptions:

* The MIDI file used is always the same
* The VST plugin used is always the same (Dexed [0])
* The VST plugin program selection is always the same (program 0), but
  the loaded bank will differ.

I think the "loaded bank will differ" part is probably the awkward bit:
I think loading a bank into Dexed is likely entirely plugin-specific.
I'm not sure if this step can be automated, and if it can't, that
pretty much kills the whole thing.

[0] https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/

--
Mark Raynsford | http://www.io7m.com