[LAU] Can netjack1/2 over a direct ethernet connection substitute for local ALSA audio?

crocket crockabiscuit at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 00:34:55 CET 2019

Although I may not use jack servers, I want to address a few concerns.

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 12:46 AM Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> This means you desktop
> relies on your Pi for a solid sync... if you are usng your desktop audio
> for anything important that requires solid sync, I would use the local
> device as backend and use zita-njbridge to join the two jack servers on
> the two machines.

I don't know what you mean by solid sync. According to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AptX#aptX_Low_Latency
40ms latency seems to be the threshold beyond which humans detect
synchronization issues when they watch videos.

> No problem (no skype either, but you may not need it) Lots of people use a
> jack to alsa bridge

The new skype client can use either ALSA, JACK, or pulseaudio.