[LAU] MOTU AVB discussion from LAC

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Sun Mar 31 21:27:14 CEST 2019

On 2019-03-30 13:58:59 (-0700), Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> Anders emailed me a beta version of the firmware for the UltraLite that him
> best performance - I think it did fix problems for someone that was at
> LAC...
I didn't dare use the MOTU UltraLite AVB because of the bizarre issues I
had with it during rehearsals (e.g. random channel assignments, extreme
noise/bitcrushing on the outputs after a few minutes). I ended up with
a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, which works fine and is properly supported
by using e.g. alsamixer or qasmixer.
However, I helped another group of artists use the MOTU interface with a
different firmware (1.3.4+558, instead of 1.3.4+608), which seemed to
have worked out fine for them!
@nando, thanks again for providing the downgrade blob on short notice!

It's pretty sad though, that the firmware produced by MOTU is in such
bad shape and breaks on a build number level. That's not exactly a
selling point...

Best,
David

P.S.: A note on the change of samplerate/ start with JACK  on the MOTU
device. The device will display the SR in use, it's apparently just way
too slow to switch on demand and then be used by ALSA (e.g. through
JACK). Well, at least there's a visual indication of what's going on
there.

--
https://sleepmap.de